As an international student of the International Doctoral Program in Asia-Pacific Studies (IDAS) and the International Master’s Program in Asia-Pacific Studies (IMAS) are are regulations that you need to comply with to live, study and work in Taiwan.
All students that wish to take jobs while studying in Taiwan must apply for a Work Permit from the Ministry of Labor. Failing to do so could cause you problems and fines. Please verify that you are allowed to take jobs before doing so. These procedures must be done through the IDAS and IMAS office and the university. Please consider that scholarship recipient students must meet additional criteria before applying for a work permit.
If you decide to work while studying in Taiwan then you must meet certain criteria. Please read through this information carefully and contact us if you still have any questions.
Applying for a Work Permit
International students who wish to work in Taiwan (either on campus or off campus) are required to apply for the work permit before they start to work. Please be notified any unauthorized employment will be incurred with penalty from NTD 30,000 to NTD 150,000.
To apply online for a work permit please follow the next steps:
- Create an account on the Workforce Development Agency website and follow the instructions in the manuals to submit an application.
- For the “Faculty” column in the form, please fill in the FULL department name in Chinese.
- After you have submitted the online application, inform the IDAS/IMAS so they may inform the OIC for the approval process.
- The OIC will inform you by email when the OIC has received your work permit from the Workforce Development Agency.
Application in Paper Forms
To apply by paper forms for a work permit please follow the next steps:
- Fill out the application form and prepare required documents.
- Go to the Registration Office to stamp on the your student ID card (front and back side) and make a photo copy of your stamped ID.
- Bring the application form and all other required documents to the OIC.
- Submit your application.
Applicants may transfer the application fee at a post office or pay at the counter of Workforce Development Agency (WDA) to:
Account Name: 勞動部勞動力發展署聘僱許可收費專戶
Account Number: 19058848
Students must write a statement explaining the reasons why they need to work while studying in Taiwan. Valid reasons are financial issues, for academic or research purposes, and for internship required by or related to the curriculum of the program. Please ask the IDAS and IMAS office for assistance.